Friday, July 3, 2009

Fried pickles

I love to cook but don't always do too much of it you know? The boys just hit me at the right moment yesterday when they were dreaming of fried pickles. Don't say yuck until you try them. I'm not a big dill pickle person and I love these! I didn't take pics but I will later today when I make them some more to go with the fried sqaush and onions my sweet Father-in-law left on my porch this morning.

I just winged this concoction from a few of the recipes I saw and the suggestions I was getting from the boys.

Fried Pickles
Dill pickle slices
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup corn meal
salt & pepper, to taste
Morton's Hot Salt, to taste. This stuff rocks my world! I would have used a lot more of this but I didn't want to scar my sweet little man.
Buttermilk. OK if you just cannot do this you can beat a few eggs or regular milk to dip the pickles in but I had buttermilk and like the way things fry up with it.
Oil for frying

The oil needs to be medium hot. Lay pickles out onto paper towels and pat dry. I dredge (or dip, whatever you want to call it) the sliced pickles in the buttermilk and then into the flour/cornmeal mixture. You can repeat this if you like the crust to be thicker. I do but my boys do not, so I will move on. Deep fry in oil until golden and crisp. Drain well on paper towels. Salt to taste and eat up! We dip ours in Ranch dressing.

Let me know what you think or what you do different. I would love to know who tries this. I never understood how my Mom & Aunt Francis could give me a recipe with "to taste" or "a pinch of this" but now that is all that I know. Does that mean I'm really growing up? I still feel like I'm 30 but better. Enjoy my friends..

1 comment:

Tami said...

I was doing a search for fried pickles and finally found a great-sounding recipe here on your blog! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it. We didn't know these even existed when we lived up north but this is now one of our fav appetizers now that we live in NC.